Initial Donor Contacts
Steps to line up donor meetings
The goal is to get Bill and at least one other member of the fundraising team in front of a prospective donor in such a way that he or she (or they) understand that they will be invited at that time to make a significant contribution to the Campaign.
- Step 1: The person with the best relationship sends an email/text/message requesting a call.
- Step 2: He or she conducts the call, providing information about the Campaign and requesting a personal meeting with Bill and another member of the fundraising team during an upcoming visit to the area.
- Step 3: Following the call, he or she sends a thank you email (cc Bill) with the Legacy 2022 Statement of Intent attached.
- Step 4: If a trip is being planned, the person responsible for Bill’s schedule coordinates time to meet him and another member of the fundraising team. Alternatively — if necessary– the meeting may happen by phone or online.
- Step 5: Bill and another member of the fundraising team meet with the donor/s to connect personally — discussing the organization’s vision and reorganization, what they value about More To Life, their pain points, and aspirations for the organization, and Legacy 2022 with an invitation to contribute to it. A proposal is prepared for the donor and left with a pledge form and brochure.
- Step 6: Bill and the other member of the fundraising team at the meeting send personal thank you cards/follow-up emails.
- Step 7: The person who asked for the donation follows-up to complete the pledge/gift.
- Step 8: Members of the fundraising team continue to stay in touch with the donor/s in an intentional effort to deepening the relationship.
Sample Email Requesting Call
Dear [DONOR],[Personal statement about most recent connection]
A lot has been happening over the past year in the More To Life organization. You have likely heard about Design & Align – a big change process that is well underway. Our goal is to dramatically expand participation in our courses and to realize our original vision of creating an inheritable world through individual transformations. This is happening just as our world is crying out for real connection, understanding and a way to genuinely honor and respect each other’s differences – the very sort of connection that you and so many others have encountered with More To Life over the years.
The reason for writing is to let you know that Bill Thatcher, our new Managing Director, and I will be visiting your area soon to talk about the changes that are happening in More To Life worldwide and locally. We would like to talk with you about the campaign that will fund these changes – Legacy 2022: A Stand for Love in the World.
Would you be available to talk with me by phone on _____________, May ____ at _______ to schedule a time for you to talk personally with Bill and me while we are in [CITY]. Please suggest another time if that one doesn’t work for you. Like so many others, I think you’re going to be really impressed by Bill and by our bold new vision.
With love, honor and respect,
Sample Email Following up on Telephone Call
Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me about our bold vision for More To Life and the campaign to fund it. I have attached a copy of the Statement of Intent, which provides additional information about Legacy 2022: A Stand for Love in the World.[INSERT PERSONAL NOTE – EMPHASIZING SOMETHING FROM THE CALL]
This is to confirm that Bill and I will meet with you at [Location] on ______________, 2017, at [Time]. We are looking forward to our visit.
With love, honor and respect,[button link=”https://www.grassrootsdevelopment.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Statement-of-Intent.pdf”]Statement of Intent PDF[/button]
Short link: https://goo.gl/G5Xsri
Sample Email Following up on Pledge/Commitment
Thank you very much for taking “A Stand for Love in the World” by choosing to invest in Legacy 2022 and our bold vision for More To Life.[INSERT PERSONAL NOTE – EMPHASIZING SOMETHING FROM THE MEETING]
In our 35 year history, we have never before attempted such an extensive effort to engage our worldwide community to respond to the challenges we face as an organization. It has been an intense process of reflection and discovery – which has resulted both in much needed change and in new opportunities to realize our original purpose of creating an inheritable world through individual transformations.
Legacy 2022 will allow us to build an organization equipped to expand participation in our 34 existing courses and to enlarge this offering with new courses that are designed for contemporary consumers with digital delivery systems in mind. To this end, your contribution is both very important and very much appreciated by everyone who has helped us reimagine More To Life for future generations.
While matching funds remain, gifts of $5,000 will be matched 2:1, contributing $15,000 toward our goal and gifts of $2,500 will be matched 1:1, contributing $5,000 toward our goal.
You may fulfill your pledge online at: https://moretolife.org/donate-legacy-2022
If you prefer to mail in a check, please make it out to “Kairos More To Life Foundation” and send it to:
Legacy 2022: A Stand for Love in the World
2107 North Decatur Road
Decatur GA 30030-5305
Please contact Amycla Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org or (865) 588-5400 for instructions to gift securities.
If you have any questions or need any help fulfilling your pledge, please contact Amycla Webb at email@example.com or (865) 588-5400. Thank you very much for your longtime friendship and your commitment to our work.
With love, honor and respect,